Sunday, March 4, 2012

Lisette Sew A Long

There was Tweeting about a Lisette dress the other day, and Cam got her wiggle on really quickly and organised a Sew A Long!

I'm already a fan of the Lisette patterns, and definitely the Oliver & S patterns! So I raced around getting the pattern and the fabric I've been eyeing off....

This is one of the easiest patterns I've ever made! 4 pieces (5 if you count the tie); no facings, no zips, a real beginners pattern, which is great for instant gratification!

The first thing (for my fellow 'sew a longers') is it's VERY roomy around the bust. Measurments showed I need to cut an 18 for my usual size 14 body. I sewed the armhole facings before a try on myself ( my dummy not as accurate as I thought!) When my sister came over yesterday and I tried it one, she suggested taking it in under the arms, and bingo, a much better fit!

A tip for the gathering- I used sewing elastic in my bobbin, and set the set length to maximum- you get an even gather, unlike if you do 2 rows of cotton and pull them to get the gather. A bit like shirring!



I still like the looseness around the middle and bottom.

Also, I didn't alter the length and this is wear it came to. If you want it below the knee, you'll need to add some length through the body.


I'm pretty impressed with my straight seams haha


How you doing?

14 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Love it!

Bianca Jae Makes Stuff said...

Fantastic Bec! You look gorgeous xox

Jennie said...

Gorgeous Bec!x

Mistea said...

That looks like a very comfortable dress - I am tempted to give it a go.
Yours is perfect in that colour.
Enjoy

Julie said...

Looks fantastic Bec.

sophie said...

Looking lovely! xxx

Danielle said...

Love it!

Caroline said...

Gorgeous fabric, so summery and pretty, great work!

Sally said...

It looks so wonderful. I was trying to find that lisette material in my local spotty but it is so messy I was without luck. You look fabulous. So very summery!
How tall are you? When I saw the pattern pieces I wondered about lengthening...

Yana said...

your dress turned out great! so regarding the measurements and sizing, would you still cut out size 18 if you made it again, or would you make 14? i'm participating in the sew-along too and just wondering what size todo. i saw a few people comment on how roomy the dress is, so thinking of cutting a smaller size than i'm normally... what would you suggest?

Leonie said...

fantastic!

Sally said...

I gave the shirring a go and some how cocked it ... which is funny because I usually love shirring. Can't figure out how I went wrong so I've decided to blame my fabric!!!
Not sure about my arm holes either... thinking I'll adjust the pattern a bit... maybe???

Anonymous said...

It looks great! I love the colour.

Funny you said that about the length- I had to chop a good 3 inches off the bottom of mine for it to sit only slightly higher than yours does! That makes me feel very short haha.

gemma @ loz and dinny said...

Gorgeous! I am such a sucker for turquoise - this just looks so summery!